My partner is threatening to take our children to another country. How can I prevent it?

If your partner wishes to remove your child from the country, the Court’s permission must be obtained unless everyone with parental responsibility for the child consents to the removal. If you are afraid that your partner may simply take the child, you should apply for a prohibited steps order. A prohibited steps order prevents someone with parental responsibility from taking decisions about their child’s life and can be used to prevent them removing the child from the country. The child must be under 16 and the person applying for the order must have parental responsibility. A prohibited steps order can be applied for on its own or in conjunction with a contact or residence order. If a prohibited steps order is made, you may also require the passport agency not to issue a UK passport for the child. If your partner holds your child’s passport, the Court can require that they surrender it. If you believe that your child is in imminent danger of being removed, you may issue a port alert. If the police are satisfied that the danger is real, the child’s name and details are circulated on a stop list to all airports and ferry ports. The child’s details will remain on the list for 4 weeks.

Back to Children

  Profiles      Reviews        Recruitment        Notices & Disclaimer        Copyright        Contact        Site Map  

Davies is the trading name of Davies Solicitors Limited (registration number 5699025). The registered office address is 30 Woollards Lane, Great Shelford, Cambridge CB22 5LZ,
and Richard Davies is the Director. We are regulated by the Solicitors Regulations Authority (reference number 439685).
We do not accept service by fax or by e-mail unless otherwise agreed.